Thursday, March 10, 2005

Bossman from Phoenix, Part 2 -- A's Finally Win

I got lost looking for Lo-Lo's Chicken & Waffles south of Downtown Phoenix (it was closed when I found it) and so I missed Rich Harden's first half-inning of work this spring. He pitched the second and third, however, giving up just two hits and no runs.

After watching the A's lose their first four, this is the game I've been waiting for. The pitching staff looked great with Harden, Kirk Sarloos, Ricardo Rincon, Kiko Calero and Huston Street combining for a shutout. Street impressed again by retiring the side in order. Throwing in the low 90s (I think, no gun in the park) with good movement, he made facing Luis Gonzalez, Troy Glaus and Shawn Green look easy.

On the offensive side, Eric Byrnes drove a double to right center in the first, bringing in three runs for the A's. Later Erubiel Durazo blasted one over the 410 marker in straightaway center at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. I think I may have been checking out a smoking hot blonde photographer down near the D-Back's dugout when the 5th and final run was scored.

I spent half the game hanging out with the Oakland bleacher crowd out by the A's bullpen as they shot the shit with Rincon and Kiko Calero. The other half I spent behind home plate with some newfound indie rocker/baseball statheads from the East Bay that I met two nights before at a rare Phoenix dive bar called the Yucca Tap Room.

The trip has been a great success, whether it was scoring a $43/night room at the Radisson (thanks cousin Jim) or meeting a former Giants player named Whitey Lockman at Durant's in downtown Phoenix (he let me check out his 1954 World Series ring), just about everything seemed to go right for me. I saw two good hip-hop shows (A-Team and Sage Francis); ate great food at Havana Cafe, Riazzo's and Durant's; and even got to check out Bank One Ballpark from the TGIF Fridays in left-center field. Who knew you could have a good time in Phoenix?

1 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Hog said...

watched a Giants game on a tivo'ed game last Tuesday. (yeah, the national league, and what of it?) good to hear the a's report from the field, bossman. the announcers on ESPN are knuckleheads who can't stop talking about themselves. Gary Thorne was giving his play by play, but wasn't he just announcing hockey games?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home