Tuesday, February 08, 2005

What I've Been Up To

Sorry about the hiatus. The pressures of workaday life have really got me down.

So much to talk about, but so little time. Let's let this suffice for now:

I have been doing some thinking about starting a wiki (basically a blog that can be edited by anyone who accesses it) displaying the live music, comedy, etc. that the Boss recommends for his reading audience. It would be like a download of my much-heralded social calendar (which, as of now, only exists in my bright yellow, college-ruled, one-subject notebook). Then, of course, all of you could add your own recommendations to the list. Fun right?

Well, I'll get working on that. But for now, here are a few acts that I have enjoyed recently:

The Perceptionists -- Hip-hop act from Boston featuring Mr. Lif, Akrobatik and DJ Fakts One. Saw them at a warehouse/live-work space in West Oakland called LoBot. Risked life and limb walking there from the BART station at night. It was worth it. Check out their new album (and first as The Perceptionists) called 'The Razor'.

The Herms -- Rock 'n roll outfit from right here in San Francisco. Many say they're the next big thing. They should get more exposure opening for Ted Leo and the Pharmacists at Great American later this month during Noise Pop. So far, they only have a self-made EP. But I hear a studio release may be imminent.

Arcade Fire -- I missed their show(s) at Great American Music Hall. To add insult to injury, the night I went down to try to get tickets outside the venue I failed, and then went on to the Hemlock Tavern, where I would leave behind my bag with two phone adapters, an iPod adapter and about 50 CDs! I've been listening to the Arcade Fire's CD, Funeral, quite a bit and getting more and more bitter about that night. They are slated to play on Sunday (not this Sunday, keep reading...) at The Coachella Music Festival (sometime in early May) in Indio, east of L.A.

Jesse DeNatale's residency at the Red Devil Lounge -- Saw him play with Jonathan Richman a week ago. Matt Gonzalez showed up to read poetry. This part of the show sonded interesting, but then the almost-mayor copped out and read other people's poetry. Jesse was great as usual. He's playing every Wednesday night in February with different guests every week. This week he's joined by Steven Yerkey and Ralph Carney and word is that there will be some music industry muckety-mucks there to check out Jesse. Next week, he'll be with Mark Eitzel (check out his site, it's great!) and Bone Cootes. Maybe the best of all the shows.

1 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger greg said...

Indio, west of LA? Is Arcade Fire playing on a cruise ship?

Boss, what's that shit that you've been smokin'?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home