Wednesday, February 07, 2007

This Moment in SxSW Preparation



Those familiar with me are well aware that I have a problem -- nay a compulsion -- when it comes to live music appreciation and the scheduling thereof. So in preparation for my upcoming trip to Austin for SxSW, I have undertaken the immense task of listening to all the bands on the preliminary (and unofficial) list of festival performers that I haven't already heard.

As I am spending my days checking out dozens and dozens of bands (500 or so confirmed so far), I thought it might be worthwhile to share a few that I liked along the way.

Today, while trying to get the skinny on the happenin' day-party scene at SxSW, I ran across a band from Cleveland rather provocatively dubbed This Moment In Black History that will be playing the No Idea Records/The Political Party day show on March 15. Perhaps it was their album titles (It Takes a Nation of Assholes to Hold Us Back, Midwesterncuttalistick), which are as entertaining as their name; or maybe it was because they remind me a little of fellow Clevelanders (Clevelandites? Clevelandians?) Pere Ubu, but I found myself listening to their myspace offerings over and over again.

Check them out for yourselves.

I'll be back soon with more bands that caught my ear.

Update! SxSW has released its preliminary list of performers.

1 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Boss! I'm scheduled to be in Austin for SxSW as well, visiting a few friends. Perhaps we can connect there? -Shifra

 

Post a Comment

<< Home