Monday, November 20, 2006

Web 2.0 is for Music Lovers



My friend at the beach just got his first cell phone last week, but he nevertheless prides himself on having graduated months ago to Web 2.0. I myself have been cellular for...well, almost three years, but can't seem to advance past Web 1.5.

Yes, I've got a blog, but I haven't settled on a focus and I don't post my own digital images. Sure, I have a wiki to enable a writing collaboration, but it's password-protected (so Web 1.0!). I read several blogs and online news sources, but haven't bothered setting up a single RSS feed.

Likewise, I have a sonicliving account to track live music in the Bay Area, but still depend on my largely analog social calendar. My fog-swaddled friend chides me for it, this flirting with the promise of Web 2.0, but not following through. Instead of spending hours writing up a list of the next three months worth of shows, I could type in a few dozen bands and venues into any one of the several sites created for this purpose, like track50, upcoming.org, last.fm and Pollstar and let Web 2.0 do the work for me.

Do I have a lot of time to kill? Am I holding onto a nostalgia for some aspects of the analog world? Do I want to feel like I'm creating something, choosing the shows that I attend rather than having them tube-fed to me? Or am I just plain lazy and noncommittal? Is it (e) all of the above?

Eh, who's got time to think of these things, it's almost time for the headcount in my personal prison of pen and paper.

1 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Elbo said...

One of these days, your analog music calendar is going to seem like a relic, like some kind of museum piece.

Oh, wait....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home